Monday, February 7, 2011

It's Monday....

By now I'm sure we're all very aware of what I think of Mondays....I can say, though, that every Monday means another week of fun with children is ahead of me...it's a little exhausting, but ultimately satisfying.

And the part of Mondays that I do always look forward to is the Monday Meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.
Sheila has been hosting It's Monday...for one year.
Before Sheila, J.Kaye used to host it.
Sheila took it over when J.Kaye chose to follow other paths.
Go over (if you haven't participated in this meme before), now is a good time to begin following this meme.
Sheila is having a special one year anniversary post this week.

As for this past week, it hasn't been particularly ambitious....but I've been enjoying what I've been able to read...

I received in the post, my very own copy of The Bitter Seed of Magic and I've just started reading it....I think that Suzanne McLeod is one of the better writers out there. She's definitely one of my favorites! The Bitter Seed of Magic is the third in her Spellcrackers.com series. Great series. Fae, Witches, Vampires, Ghosts...the works.
In case you've missed my recent posts, I'm hosting a contest for a signed copy of The Bitter Seed of Magic.... (signed by the author of course, not me...*g*) & Ms McLeod's current contest is also for a copy of The Bitter Seed of Magic. Suzanne McLeod's current contest is part of her 16 week celebratory giveaway....


John Meaney's Bone Song is my Current Read - the one I'm almost done with, was a Christmas Present from a wonderful person (waving) and I'm so glad she picked it for me to try. It is an amazing book, and the only reason I haven't dived straight into the above book, is because this one is so good (so I'm kind of torturing myself, making myself wait, kind of enjoying the anticipation...I know, I'm a bit weird, but that's how us book people can get...). This book is amazing, and the only reason I haven't finished it yet is the whole babysitting granchildren on the weekend thing..and the superbowl (watched it for the commercials really), the obsession with farmville, and the whole having to work and sleep thing....Almost finished though. Amazing world building....This reminds me of reading authors, and wondering before I'm even finished about sequels. Right up there with Suzanne McLeod, Ilona Andrews and my other favorites.

"re-found" - Marianne DePierres' Dark Space. I had made the effort to order this from overseas, since I had tried one of DePierres' trilogies (Nylon Angel) and was hoping to read more from her. I'm also on a kind of scifi-space odyssey type trip. I enjoy the occasional space opera-ish novel (such as Ann Aguirre's Jax series -Grimspace, KillBox).
After starting it, I misplaced it, found it....misplaced it again and just recently re=found it. Thank god, because I really want to read this and just gotten to where the action was starting to happen. The main character had just escaped one fate, and was hiding on a ship, and had just been discovered.....and I lost the book. Well, it's here again - but now I have to finish at least two books before I try to read this again; At least I have it to look forward to (and the other 100 or so books that I've been greedily accumulating....)
besides all the other books that I read two to five pages at a time of, here and there, there and here, now and again....that's it for the reading for me....oh - except that we've been reading
How to Train Your Dragon (Cressida Cowell) - in the library for the 3rd, and 4th grades
Spaceheadz (Jon Sczieska) in the afterschool program
I am very partial to books with humor for children's books. I think if you can get them laughing and enjoying a book because of the laughs, then maybe some of the boy and girls who wouldn't normally enjoy reading just for reading might just start to see the appeal. Take a look at the links for the books - great websites that will keep kids interested.

5 comments:

  1. Love the picture of you grandbaby. She is a doll. The Bitter Seed of Magic, looks like a really good book. hope you enjoy it and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew Mondays could be so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Monday! I bring you coffee and scones this morning! :) The Bitter Seed Of Magic looks interesting. I like humorous childrens reads as well.

    Have a super rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list of books--Happy Reading!
    Here's my Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. L.M. Preston-Mondays! exciting? LOL
    Jan - that picture is from three years ago. She wasn't even a year old yet. She's going to be four next week and she still loves books. Only now she holds them up right and she's always trying to get me to read chapter books to her...which bore her. I need to find some easy chapter books with pictures for her to focus on.

    ReplyDelete