Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Waiting On Wednesday, POC reading list, and a mini-rant

I've "lifted" this button from Tales of a Ravenous Reader . I love this button.

Now, I've been lucky enough to get quite a few of the books that I've really been wanting to read. However, there are a lot of POC books (Persons of Color) that I am just beginning to find out about, and would love to also get.


From a link by Carleen Bryce, author of Orange Mint and Honey and blogger at White Readers Meet Black Authors. Orange Mint and Honey was her first novel, which is soon to be seen on TV as the movie called Sins of the Mother. On LMN 2/21/10 {8 EST, 7 CST, 6 MST and 5 PST}. There is a movie trailer at her page, click on the word link just above. I went to read an excerpt of Orange Mint and Honey over at B&N (online). I clicked on the second chapter, and boy, does this book look interesting. I want it. Once I clicked on Carleen Bryce's first link, I saw she has a list of Indie Bound to look at, by different authors. I think that there's a couple there that will hold my interest {heehee, even though they aren't urban fantasy!} I've been lazy and copied the links from Ms Bryce's page, but I don't think she'll mind.



Quote from Essence Magazine about OM&H. "Carleen Brice's Orange Mint and Honey, a new novel about real mama drama, will have you hooked from page one. Taking on the fabled mother-daughter bond, the Denver author confidently strides onto terrain many lesser writers have tripped over-with winning results". The excerpt proves that this will be an excellent read.


Carleen Bryce has also contributed to this book, Age ain't Nothing but a Number: Black Women Explore Midlife. One of the other contributors is Maya Angelou, whom I read a bit of when I was 12 years old, sneakin' into my mom's books. As a woman of a certain age, I'm interested in these women's thoughts. Never thought I'd be looking for essays about aging by anyone. But here I am, aging, whether I like it or not. Look at the woman on the cover, doesn't she look happy? All dancin' away.


Wildflowers by Lyah Beth Leflore is about a woman who leaves her crazed newlywed husband, her home and her career as a Hollywood publicist to protect her unborn child. She goes back to her hometown and her family "to get prayed up by the women in her family". She has secrets, the eight AfricanAmerican women in the family (three moms, five daughters) all have secrets. This one looks very good also.
Click on the picture to read an excerpt. Good Excerpt.

And last but not least, there is an author that I want to explore, she's written what looks to be a series of books about a certain family- Tina McElroy Ansa.
One of the books, named Ugly Ways is about three daughters who come home to put their mother to rest after she's dies. Apparently their mother wasn't really a very nice person, and she gets to float around town hearing what people thought of her. I couldn't find an excerpt to Ugly Ways, but there is an excerpt of her newest book, Taking After Mudear. I would love to read Ugly ways, though it looks to be the third book in her series. Taking After Mudear, I think is the newest.
All of these books can be found at Indie Bound, or you know, the other places. But these are books that are my goal to buy within the next few months. There were more, but I am exhausted so I'm just going to list the titles.
There are quite a few pages of suggestions from Carleen Bryce for reading material. I only have looked through a few for a start, but these are interesting looking books, that I will be exploring some more. And I thank you Carleen Bryce, for taking the time to make a reading list for me (and others, of course) to find. Sometimes that's the only way we find out about books that aren't in front of the bookstores we frequent.
Here is a mini-rant. Interestingly enough, I checked the Borders.com site, and all the books I listed except Meeting of the Waters and The Untelling are available through Borders, and yet I've never noticed them before in the general fiction area. I did see that the page says (for most of the books) Find it in: African American - African American Fiction - Literature/Fiction. I've never ever noticed this before. Does this mean that I have to find a specific section in the store reserved for African American Literature? If so, I think it's weird that some stores would have a separate AfricanAmerican literature section. I think that all novels should be linked together under genre, general fiction, urban fantasy, science fiction. I would never think that I would have to look up a ethnicity to find a novel. A FICTION Novel. It has never, ever occurred to me to shop this way for FICTION. Now I would expect that for studies of AfricanAmerican culture, or a section for Asian cultures, but fiction is fiction and should all be together. How else would people be exposed to all the rich novels out there by all the diverse writers? When I'm going book shopping I'm not looking specifically for race, I'm looking for a good book- I really wouldn't care what race the writer is, have never thought about people's races when BOOK SHOPPING, so this way of doing things seems strange. Do they (bookstores) have a MexicanAmerican Section? A Scandinavian Section? GermanAmerican? Panamanian American? (hell-no!) So this kind of bothers me. I'm not sure that I would considers it racist, but it certainly strikes me as separatist. I want to be looking in one or two sections for books - Fiction, SciFiction/horror, or maybe romance, but I really wouldn't care what the race of those authors are, as long as the book interests me. In fact I want the choice to read books from all walks of life and I want that choice in easy to find sections, such as simply Fiction, SciFi, Horror, maybe romance, and childrens' novels. Those of you who are POC - what do you think of this? Should bookstores have a separate section for FICTION, according to what writer wrote the book? I just can't say, enough, how weird this seems to me. I'm surprised, I'm 49, I've been book-shopping for many years, and mainly stay in fiction/sci-fi areas as this is my interest. I want the choice to find ALL fiction under fiction, ALL SciFi under SciFi, etc. I'm just....flabbergasted, and I thought there wasn't much that would surprise me at my age. Damn!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Books should be arranged by genre (children's, fantasy, mystery, etc.)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I think so. Genre's where I'm going to look for books. It's like (how long ago?) some person in a store, said, "here, we'll give them a little section of their own". And it stuck-forever.

    ReplyDelete