Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow- review

The Iron Wyrm Affair
Lilith Saintcrow
steampunk
8/07/12

******  (6 out of 6)


cover - I am loving this cover - the victorian setting, the dress, and if you look closely you'll notice the witchlight - or rather sorcery light, representing magic use. I only wish that Mikal was pictured here, he's a big part of the story.

I absolutely love reading a brand new book in a brand new series.  I rarely ask for books from The Library Thing, unless I really, really want one, but I saw this, put in for it, and then forgot I put in for it.  Then it came in the mail - unfortunately it didn't come in time for me to post about it before the release date, but it's close.  The Iron Wyrm Affair is  one of Lilith Saintcrow's newest novels, and it is unlike anything she's ever done before.  Although - I know she's written some paranormal romance that I haven't read (the Watcher series- I think they're romance, anyway).  I have read her two urban fantasy series and they are dark urban fantasy, both of which I enjoyed very much.  If you're looking for something like that, you're not going to find it here.  However, this is a very well written steampunk novel. There's magic, clockwork horses, altered people, Victorian setting and dialogue...Saintcrow has done a wonderful job of writing something completely different.

The Iron Wyrm Affair is the first of the Bannon and Clare series.  Bannon is a sorceress, a very powerful one.  Clare is a mentath - a man who MUST use his brain to solve patterns, problems, etc. or his brain will go mad.  They live in an alternate historical London - it's actually called Londinium.  In this version of history - there are sorcerers, prime (the most powerful of sorcerers) witches, gryffons, etc.  It's a very rich world.  As the story unfolds, you learn a bit more about the world and it's history.

Mentaths and sorcerers have been found murdered and Bannon is in charge of not only keeping Clare alive, but finding out just what the threat is, and who the real threat is ultimately for.

Lilith Saintcrow has once again delivered a novel that is full of plot, believable and fitting dialogue, rich environments (not $$ rich, rich in atmosphere)  and mysterious pasts of characters.  There is plenty of action, and just the barest tease of relationships.  There is danger and twisty plots.  A very enjoyable book - and I am looking forward - very much - to the next novel in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment