Wednesday, November 30, 2011

movies, Victoria's Secret, skinny bitches, etc.

I want to see this....




However, I do have this habit of wanting to see movies {at the theater}, yet I rarely actually leave the house for anything much, especially trips to a crowded theater, where there are other people, lots of other peoples; I might have to sit by someone I don't know, I always worry that there won't be enough seats for whoever I'm going with, etc. This is why taking my granddaughter to see The Princess and the Frog - just me and her - was such a huge deal. And then anything that could go wrong - did. We went upstairs instead of downstairs - carrying popcorn and drinks AND a booster seat for her (she was two years old then); so we had to go back downstairs, with a toddler carrying her own booster seat, me balancing the soda and two popcorn things, holding her hand AND getting her on an escalator! - we spilled some popcorn as I was getting her settled, I started having a hot flash and yet - the minute we picked out seats, THAT'S when the theater began filling up. So at least we were there in time to get good seats! And once we got settled and watching the movie - she turned to me, said, "Thank you Grandma" and "I love you" and everything was all right. Afterwards, when we were talking about all the things that went almost wrong, she laughed and said "you're so silly, Grandma". That was the only time that I've ever taken one child by myself to a movie. So stressful, for someone who gets a bit of social anxiety. I've gone with other adults and quite a few children.


Last winter my father, my granddaughter, my grandson, a work friend and her daughter and niece all went to see Tangled. Talk about crowded - we were lucky to get five seats together for eight people - and even then my grandson had to sit on my dad's lap and Lili had to sit on mine. We had those plastic booster seats though, and we were on one of those rows in front of an aisle - so we were able to put the seats on the floor in front of us, so the kids and our laps could get a break. Great movie though - totally worth the crowded car, the crowds, the money and I'm so glad my dad went - because that way he was in charge of the grandson and I was in charge of the granddaughter. I think that was also the first time he's been to an animated children's movie since Snow White first came out.


This year, my grandson came up to my husband - he's three now {my grandson, not my husband} - grabbed his face and said with a very serious expression - "Papa - I'm going to get some money, and then I'm going to take you to see Puss N Boots". Awwwww. What a kid. I told my husband he needs to take the boy to the movies. I'll have my grandson do something for some cash - pick up toys, help me with whatever a three year old can do, so he can "take his papa" to the movies.



This is one of those movies I wanted to see, yet waited so long...



that it's no longer at the theater in my city...I'll have to wait for the DVD now. There are many other movies in this category...problem is, I forget them - the names, the actors...I only remember the general plot. "I wanted to see that movie, about the thing, y'know, where they...." etc. Luckily for me, sometimes I catch them on Stars or Encore {we can't afford Showtime or HBO - :( } I do have the book - Cowboys Vs Aliens. It's one of those "based on the movie screenplay" novelizations. I've tried a few of those - Ultraviolet was pretty kickass as a book, but the one about the vamps and werewolves {from the movie with Kate Beckinsale} was pretty horrible. It straight up sucked. So bad that I didn't get past the first two chapters and don't even have that "might give it another try" feeling. Dialog sounded like an emo teen wrote it.

From movies to network t.v. For some reason I ended up watching the Victoria's Secret t.v. "Angel" special. The annual show where skinny ass models wear fantastical underwear sets that have been bejeweled and bedazzled, complete with wings and showgirl worth props. I'm not going to comment on the whole viewing women's bodies lasciviously on t.v., or the thinly veiled hour long advertisment of
Victoria's Secret products...There was good music, rappers {Nicki Minaj, JayZ, Kanye West} and Maroon 5 as well as some good music background by Reckless and other groups. The costumes were fun - the work was amazing - expecially the wings that were inspired by a huge spanish fan.

And refreshingly- I didn't see a lot of ribs poking out, or super skinny barbie-doll style arms. I saw some women that were slender, and obviously they work out - but thank god these women had breasts, thighs and asses. They didn't look like they'd been starving themselves for a long time - except for possibly this women here - I can see ribs on her upper chest. There was another model that had skeletal legs, ribs showing on her sides and chest - but I couldn't find a pic of her. I find it painful to see women that are so skinny that their faces look like the skin is holding on for dear life. We see this more and more on t.v. in general, so it's nice to see almost normal looking women on runways - and I know that's a rare thing. To have a woman with meat on her bones on a runway. But seriously - men used to be more attracted to the curves on a woman. It seems though, that the younger men are so used to seeing the starving models and actresses that they are getting the mindset that women should be very thin. That's very sad.

All this thinking about skinny starving rich women is a little depressing. It's ironic, though. They're all so rich and yet they can't just relax and enjoy themselves - nope. They seem to have to starve themselves, almost like they're punishing themselves.

Well--that's it for my soapbox moment - at least I know I'll never have that problem- either being rich or being too skinny. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment