Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday Teasers



One of the things I like best about Tuesdays, besides meaning that Monday is over, is the meme by MizB at Should Be Reading.


Ridiculously basic guidelines: Share a few sentences (officially, it's two sentences, but a few of us take the liberty of using more at times) from a current or recent read. We also make sure to give credit to the author, since we're hoping to showcase what we're reading. For more detailed instructions, click on the link above. I'm lousy at explaining rules and guidelines.


:)
A few months ago, I had read a book called Red Hot Property by Devin O'Branagan. I liked the book, and when I found out there was to be more, I asked the author to let me know when the sequel came out. Well, the sequel is now available, so I bought a copy of it right from her online bookstore. {btw, there is all kinds of stuff-or rather products- for sale. All related to novels that O'Branagan has written. Gothic jewelry, stuffed animals, etc. Interesting and a good idea for holiday shopping}. I received an autographed copy (autographed copies are like the icing on the cake for book nerds like me) and as soon as I finish the current book I'm reading, I'll be starting this one....scratch that. We all know I'll open this up and start reading it right away, going back and forth between at least three books! LOL! or at least this will be my "palate cleansing" book. Always important after reading a kickass book and starting a new one in the same genre.

So here are some sentences from Red Hot Liberty
page 38:

' Talisman led an interesting life, had a meaningful job, a myriad of fascinating friends and social activities, was doted on by adoring assistants, pampered by a staff of experts, and her love life was lifted straight from the pages of an epic romance novel. Spiritsong's Lucky Talisman of DeMitri was a most special Australian Shepherd. '

*I always enjoy a book where a pet or animal is given just as much time in the story as one of the characters. It always adds a little something special to the story.*

**and LOOK at that shoe on the cover. UMMUMM. Makes me want to try high heels again. Man those are some sexy shoes.

GRRRROOOWRRRll!**



Yes, I already finished this...just barely though and it needs to be HEARD! or read. It needs to be acknowledged! This is a damned good book. This is one of those books that make you say DAMN!- when is the next book coming out? Soon right? Nooooo. :(

Well, In case you weren't aware of Devon Monk, she is the author of the Allie Beckstrom magic books (Magic to the Bone, Magic in the Blood, Magic On the Hunt, etc). With Dead Iron she proves {again} that she can write urban fantasy, or western steampunk or anything she pleases - whatever she writes, it's going to be good. She recently published an anthology of short stories, A Cup of Normal and I loved all of those stories. Versatile and a brilliant author.....okay, now I'll stop gushing long enough to find a good tease from Dead Iron....(which comes out July 5th by the way)

Dead Iron by Devon Monk

from page 213:
' "Fine, he whispered, "I'm fine."

Mae raised her eyebrows but said nothing. She knew when a man said things out of stubborn pride. She'd been married for nine years.

And she knew better than to ask his permission. "Up now. Take a deep breath. On three. One, two, three." She wrapped her arm around his waist and pulled him up onto his feet. '

Oh yeah. That's from a quiet section of the book....they've just survived after a fight....

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful teaser selections. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/06/teaser-tuesdays-my-teaser-is-from-212-by-alafair-burke.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teasers. I love Devon Monk can't wait to get my hands on Dead Iron - I think I pre-ordered it a while back.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/06/teaser-tuesday-24.html

    ReplyDelete