Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dead In The Family by Charlaine Harris - review




Sookie aka Southern Vampire series

****


Charlaine Harris


The cover to Dead In The Family has the same feel to it as the previous covers. I want to call it folksy art, but to be honest I have no idea if it really is folksy art. I know it's different and striking in its own way - but that's as far as my official learned art knowledge goes. :)


Ever since reading the very first Sookie or Southern Vampire series novel, I've enjoyed them very much. In fact, I don't even look at the blurbs anymore I just buy them on the strength of the series alone - until this last book I've been buying them as soon as they come out in hardback. For some reason - although I thoroughly enjoyed the last novel, I ended up buying this one in paperback. I think my budget just didn't allow for any hardbacks this year. I have to admit here....though I really don't want to....I'm glad I waited for the paperback. Now I feel very disloyal as a fan. But the truth is, when there is a series that goes way beyond 5 or 6 books, there's bound to be one or two that just don't grab you as much as the others. And that's how it is for me on this novel. In fact, if I am to be completely honest....I was bored through most of this book. With the exception of the visit with Hunter, some scenes with Pam, and the ending fight the rest of the book bored me almost to the point of not finishing it. It seemed way slower paced than ever before, there were scenes and dialogue that just bored me.


I have a lot of respect for Charlaine Harris as a writer and as the blogger that comes through on her blog. I don't read it every day, but I notice that she always has a kind word for new authors and just comes across as a real lady. I think that's why it bothers me to not enjoy this recent novel of hers. It's not like I know her, or have a vested interest in the series. But it does feel weird, also because I've enjoyed all the previous books - especially the one that came before, Dead and Gone.


Well, it is what it is. The writing is of course her usual fine writing, the dialog as good as ever. It's just the subject matter, and the way the scenes were put together - it just didn't grab my attention for much of the book. And parts of the book were important - after all, Sookie is still recovering from the torture she experienced, and the extreme losses she's experienced in her recent past. Claude, the fairy cousing that never much liked her suddenly appears and wants to be roomies. There is danger on the vampire front. Strange vampires from Eric's past shows up and puts them all in danger. It should have been an exciting book, and in fact there were at least three areas that did keep my attention riveted.


Based on those three sections, I'm willing to get the next book that is currently out in hardback...although I'll probably wait for the paperback - mainly because I have other things to use my cash on - so I'm trying to be a little more frugal for my own book buying. But I want to read the next book - Dead Reckoning - if it's more interesting for me, then fine and dandy. If not, then time for me to concentrate on another series. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment