Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Book

Have I mentioned lately how fortunate I feel when it comes to reading, winning books, just having books, and having books sent to me? I don't want to sound greedy - but I think I've been blessed lately with books. There have been some very good books coming my way.

Recently, I entered on a whim a contest for The Iron Witch - Karen Mahoney's first full-length published book. I really didn't expect to win, since there were so many entries. I almost didn't enter, because there were so many entries. Usually, if I see that many entries, I decide to let the contest go - figuring I'll just buy the book when I can. But this time, I thought - what the heck - just enter. I was very happy and surprised to learn that I did win. The book arrived today in the mail. I am very close to finishing Blood Song, and as soon as I do, I'm cracking open The Iron Witch. I don't think it'll ever get old, that "who me?" feeling I get when I do win a book. This is also one of those times that I tried to buy the book at the bookstore and couldn't find when I had the money - so it's a double-win for me. :)

And check out this cover - It's beautiful. The curly-cues all over the front - the markings on the cover model's arms, the colors and the font. It's a beautifully put together cover and I've very happy to get this UK edition.

Of course, I couldn't wait to at least peek inside the book. Now I've read the prologue that's available online, but when I opened the book I just had to read at least the first page of the first chapter...
and I'm going to post a snippet here. You can read more on the above link.
The Iron Witch, By Karen Mahoney
from page 3 (chapter one)
'It all started with the party. That's what Donna Underwood would tell herself in the days that followed. If only she hadn't let Nav talk her into going with him, then maybe everything would be different. Maybe things wouldn't have gotten quite so bad.'

How's that for a beginning paragraph?
The Iron Witch is available right now - in both the UK and the US.
Falling to Ash in the antology Eternal Kiss
The Spirit Jar in the anthology Kiss Me Deadly
Both are YA reads featuring Moth, a vampire.
I've been following (or rather mostly lurking) Karen Mahoney for the last few years, and it's very exciting to see her progress, and her books come out in print. Very nice. I love when dreams come true for writers. :) Of course, I know there's a lot of hard work for the dreams to come through in the first place - but I believe a lot of it is hard work, the right story at the right time, perseverance and a little bit of luck (considering the sheer numbers of people trying to get noticed by the publishing houses).
Woo Hoo! Kaz!

2 comments:

  1. Loved TIW Highly recommend it.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want my own copy of Iron Witch to read some day Mardel, maybe if I were a little "greedier" my own self could have already gotten it free but since have so many books now will wait to get it the old fashioned way and buy it.... (I am happy for others to get books to review from sources other than them buying them, books are kind of an expensive hobby)

    ReplyDelete