Saturday, January 11, 2014

Wrong Ways Down - first read of 2014


I haven't been participating in memes lately, haven't even stayed on top of reviews....  Barely been reading.
But I did manage to finish a book recently.
I also almost finished another....

So, the first book read in 2014 is Stacia Kane's Wrong Ways Down.  It's supposed to be novella, but it's about as long as other books I've read.  In fact, it's way longer than some of ...well, I won't go there.  Let's just say that you get more for your book buying dollar from Stacia Kane than you do a certain writer who has been writing a steadily deteriorating series for years......(oh, man - I went there.)

Anyway - Wrong Ways Down is set in the world of Chess Putnam - from the Downside series.  It's told from the point of view of Terrible, from before they two get together.  It's good.  There are a few cameo appearance of Chess, and a whole lot of insight to Terrible and his love of his job - or at least why he loves violence so much.  (sometimes, I admit, I like the thought of violence....but I haven't hit anyone in a long time....being the mature adult that I am now)

The prostitutes that work for Terrible's boss are suddenly being attacked, and at the same time one of the men who are supposed to be on watch has been murdered.  Terrible is upset about the women being abused, and he's out for vengeance, along with trying to figure out what's going on.   I enjoyed the story, it was just as good as the regular series novels.

If you enjoy the Downside series (Unholy Ghosts and co.) then you're going to enjoy Wrong Ways Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment