Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I missed another Monday, but I've got some Teasers!

some LOL Cat fun

Sheila of Book Journey hosts It's Monday, What Are You Reading?.  This is one of my favorite memes, though I haven't been a regular participant lately - life has been, well,.....life and I've been  off and on with my internet cruising.  But, anywhere - here goes;

I finally finished a novel this past week, a pretty interesting if at times bleak novel about the aftermath of a weird virus outbreak that has caused a zombie like outbreak.  
Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield is mainly the story of Cassandra, her survival and search for her daughter, Ruthie who has been sent to a new convent run by a zealot.  It was a pretty good book, and I thought that I had already bought the second one, Rebirth, but I can't seem to find it anywhere around.  I hate when my brain does that to me - don't know if it'a false memory or if I really did buy it.  
That was the only book I finished.
I did start another one, though - and in one day got through 161 pages!  That's the sign of an engaging book for me - if it weren't for some time out for a haircut and visit from my nieces, I would have been almost finished with it by now - and that book is the teaser book....



Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB of ShouldBeReading.  We read, We tease, We visit other sites.  Visit ShouldBeReading for full guidelines - it's fun to do, in case you've never done it before.  It's been going on for quite a while, so I'm sure many have participated, but just in case...
My teaser is from a very interesting novel titled Coyote (mentioned above)
My Current Read is:

Coyote
by Allen Steele
page  244

"Give it a rest, Gill," he said.  "The nearest steak is 46 lightyears away.  Like he said, no use whining about something you can't have."

I am loving this book.  There is enough science that you know it's Science Fiction, there's plenty of story and lots of good dialogue - and some heart thumpin' moments.

It's the future.  The United States is now two countries, there has been a revolution and the main country - The United Republic is a government that doesn't believe in rights.  People who disagree are called dissidents and have a habit of being round up and taken to re-learning centers, or disappearing.  So, a group of people get this idea.  They're going to hi-jack a starship.  There's been a mission planed - to colonize a far away planet 230 lightyears away.  It's been a long time since a book made me feel nervous for the characters, but Steele manages to build the suspense; the dissidents and the pilot, the whole plot to steal this starship - it's full of suspenseful moments.  Pretty good writer.


Apparently, this has been made into a movie - why haven't I heard of it before?



I have no other plans - I have a few books, many many many books waiting for me to crack open  - but it's been kind of hard for me to concentrate on them.  I'm pretty happy that I was able to read Aftertime within a few days, and then to get into Coyote so quickly.  I'm hoping the next few books are just as engaging as these two.


No comments:

Post a Comment