Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Mortal Bone by Marjorie M. Liu - review

The Mortal Bone
Hunter Kiss #4
Marjorie M. Liu
Urban Fantasy
2011


******
cover - I kind of like this cover, although seeing it small like this doesn't do it justice.  In fact, the expression on her face at this size looks kind of creepy.  On the physical book cover, it's not so creepy.  Then again, the guy isn't quite what I picture in my head...and that's no fault of the art department, just expectations.  I like that you can see all her demon boy's markings - except with this cover and all the other novels where the character has markings on the face, we never get to see this depicted on the face as described in the books.  S I G H...


I was a little worried when I read the blurb about the boys - her demon friends - being separated from her.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I shouldn't have worried.  As soon as I opened the book, I was caught up in the story.  Liu has a magical way with words.  Just pulls you into the story and it doesn't matter if you've forgotten bits and pieces of the previous books, you just are pulled right along - at least I am.


By some trick - Hunter is separated, quite painfully and unexpectedly from her demon boys. At first she's sure that they will be loyal and be good....then things begin to happen that make her question this...and then again, she ends up having to make a decision - does she trust them or not.  They've been out flexing their claws and might, forcing other demons to swear fealty to them, and it's been bloody.  All of this has gone on while Hunter is recovering from the traumatic separation. 


Because she's separated from them, she no longer has the protection she used to count on during the day, and they aren't with her at night.  Which is not good, because now those seals that keep those pesky demons contained are weakened and the demon lords are lose - the ones that the Hunter's boys are forcing to swear fealty. 


This particular novel almost reads like a final of a series - I haven't read anything about this being a final book, however - there probably will be more.  However, a story arc seems to have been finalized.  Some things are resolved - as much as ever present threats of demons can be resolved.  So, final or not, the series and Hunter's life is changed a bit after this novel - or rather with this novel.  As always, Liu's writing is lyrical, provoking, and good reading.  There is more about Hunter's past than ever before, and quite a few past characters get together in this novel. Hunter finds out more about the history of her boys, her husband and herself.  There's a lot going on in this novel.


 Liu's dialogue is just as good as ever before.  Once I started reading this, I kept on until I was finished.  About 24 hours, with time out for sleeping.  Of course traveling by plane from Boquete to Panama city to Los Angeles gave me a great chunk of time for reading.  I was glad that I had such a good book to pass the time with.  I would enjoy reading more about Hunter and her demon boys - Liu can really write a good story with good dialogue, humor and heart thumping moments - even blood chilling moments.   


I found this to be a very good book - in fact I read in a publisher's review that it was her best yet.  It's extremely good, but I think all her Hunter Kiss books are good.  Amazing even. 

No comments:

Post a Comment