Friday, September 23, 2011

Mini-Review: Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews

Sometimes I will buy an anthology just for the sake of reading ONE author. In this case, I know I've enjoyed books from all four of the authors featured in Hexed; but the main reason I bought Hexed was to read Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews. I just finished reading it - maybe I should have saved the best for last, but I've never been very good at delaying gratification. (boy did that sound wrong)

Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews is written from the pov of Dali. Dali is the half-blind, vegetarian white tiger shapeshifter who gets nauseated by blood. The man she's interested in (because in these anthologies, there's always a love interest angle....at least in all shorts I've read) is none other than Jim - Curran's enforcer for the pack. If you haven't read any of the Kate Daniels series, than you'll have no idea who or what I'm referring to. But if you've read at least one or two - than you know Jim was Kate's friend and once-in-a-while partner when she was working for the guild.

Dali finds Jim in her house - mysteriously sleepy. Turns out he's under the spell of an angry magical former human-now-spider monster. ugh.

It's up to Dali, with the help of her mom's knowledge, to save Jim. Yep. Girl saves Boy.

So far, every thing that I've read by Ilona Andrews has been interesting, engaging, contains bits of humor, suspenseful and a pure joy to read. They're great at dialog and snarky thoughts from the main characters. There's also this one little thread that promises to show up in a later story. Dali helps to save someone powerful, and now she's owed a favor. Hmmmm. I wonder if this will show up in another short story featuring Dali. It would be great to read more from Dali's pov - she's a fun character. Or maybe this "little" favor will show up in a future Kate Daniels novel. Be on the look out for Dragon-man, user of fire.

Even if I never get around to reading the other three stories in this anthology, I'm very glad that I bought it and read Magic Dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment