Monday, May 30, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I'm (almost) Free!

Free to sleep in everyday serene with the knowledge that I DON'T HAVE TO GET UP AT ANY SPECIFIC TIME!

Almost free, because I do have to go back to the offices to do some odds and ends - but at no specific times.

WooHoo!

Summer Break!!!!!


This Meme - It's Monday, What are You Reading? is probably one of the most widely read and participated weekly memes. Hosted by Sheila of Book Journey - this is the time to list books we're reading, we've finished reading, possibly what we plan to read and anything else book related that's happened in the past week. Full guidelines are available at Sheila's website.


With the last week of school looming large in my head, I didn't get a lot read, in fact I had a hard time even concentrating on any bit of reading.....my father came to town, my mom came into the country, and I had a niece and nephew graduating from two different schools (didn't attend either graduation...thank goodness! ahem - I know this sounds cold, but really - these ceremonies can go on and on, sitting in sun, on hard seats with the back aching and wanting to scream....I did go to the party!) and wonderful employees at the school I work at planned a very busy last week of activities for the afterschool program that I supervise.
A fun and eventful week - which left me with no energy to read, much less time to read.

I'm pretty sure that this is normal for many family across the lands....lots of graduating going on everywhere - this is a buy time of year.



On to the Book Deets!

I very suddenly just HAD to read a book that had nothing to do with werewolves or vampires or demons. I ended up finding a copy of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt for $3.99 at Border's Books. Written by Beth Hoffman, I found it to be a fun fairytale like novel - a feel-good novel where a sad little girl whose life has been falling apart finally gets some stability in her life. My youngest son treated me to a late mother's day gift....I was just thinking that this was the first mother's day that I didn't get ANY presents....not one from any of my children (or husband). Now I know you're not supposed to EXPECT presents, or demand them...and I really don't usually feel entitled...but for years my husband has been buying me book gift cards...and before the gift cards came out, it was cash $$$ for books. When my boys became older I would get at least one other gift card for books forMother's day....this year, not one thing.....just dinner. Tasty! but you know.....food is such a fleeting gift. It just passes right out of....well, you know. :) So about two weeks after Mother's Day, my youngest boy takes me to the bookstore. Relief. All was right with the world...or at least my little corner of it.




Now, I had started reading both Afterlife and The Spirit Thief in the last month....and suddenly felt out of the mood for both books. No blame on the authors...just suddenly wasn't in the mood for anything fantasy or supernatural............







e-books
However, I did buy the latest e-book in the series titled Into The West. The latest installment is Silver Rush by J.A. Campbell - and is the further adventures of Tina Harken, the misplaced teen from the city who has to live in the Wild West..or least in a ghost town that used to be part of the Wild West....in the last two books she's ended up traveling to the past and getting involved in a shootout....wonder what's going to happen next? I have read the first chapter and part of the second so far...but I claim issues time, family, work, space,...etc. I'll finish this week though...lots of time coming up!

Two other E-books that I'll be reading, in fact that I've already peeked at is Wild by Naomi Clark and In The Valley of Falling Stars by Chris Tusa. Both are promising - with good beginnings and engaging narration.


currently reading:

I was suddenly out of the mood for fantasy and IN The Mood for Science Fiction - specifically Space Opera style of Science Fiction.....I want to read about Space Ships, life on space ships, travel to other planets, problems with other species of beings, etc. Once in a while I need to read about this type of thing, not just about kick-ass females, but kick ass females that are holding positions in space ships way into the future....

In the living room one night, I picked up The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald - in this one a survivor of a space ship explosion finally gets put back on a space ship - only she's put in charge of a misfit crew of supplies...and not many of them seem to like each other, or her for that matter. While all this is happening (so far) there are strange and mysterious things going on...like an aboriginal medicine man appearing and disappearing during take off - weird. spooky. a mystery.

A Confederation of Valor
In my bedroom, I found the omnibus edition of the first two space novels by Tanya Huff. These include Valor's Choice and The Better Part of Valor. Now this one has quite a variety of species working on one ship....and Torin (female) is in charge of a military unit that is placed on honor guard duty....you just know something is going to go wrong..... I've read contemporary fantasy and high fantasy by Tanya Huff. Like all so far. I've tried the vampire series by her....unable to get very far. Love the Enchantment Emporium though - funny and great characters. I'm looking forward to this space series by her.


Plans for next week: None. Don't know what I'll be in the mood for.


:)

3 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting week for you! Happy reading!

    Allison
    Well-Read Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved Cee Cee Honeycutt and I am so glad to see you got it. Beth Hoffman is saying that her next book is going to be something completely different... I can not wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the sequel to The Stars Down Under but not #1. This coming week is my last week off before summer session. I have a few books I want to finish before school begins. Come see what they are.

    ReplyDelete