Monday, December 20, 2010

Monday Reading.....:)

I'm actually looking forward to this Monday- except that I've stayed up way too late, and I'm supposed to watch my granddaughter today...Oh well, nap later. This is the beginning of my two week winter break. I know it's going to go by too fast, but I'm going to enjoy it no matter what!
So, here we are again, celebrating our week of reading with Sheila over at Book Journey. Join in the weekly meme fun - go over to her site to check out the guidelines (if you haven't been doing this all along.)
By the way - because I'm starting to nod off, this post will be link-free, at least until I feel like putting links under the covers. Except for the meme link, that one, of course is linked.
I finished reading Witch Hunt, and posted my review. I found it a rather intense read, with a pretty good message of the horrors of judgement and persecution.


I opened my mailbox a few different days to find a few different treats from various people. From one friend I received a gift of Discord's Apple, a book I've been looking forward to reading. Carrie Vaughn's first non-werewolf published book. I think it's going to be a good read. :) I also love the simplicity of the cover.


Devin O'Branagan was kind enough to send me a copy of Red Hot Property. I'm looking forward to this book also, mainly because of the humor and the quirky characters that I read about while browsing her site a few months ago. There is an Australian Sheppard featured in this novel, as well as a few wonderfully crazed characters. Should be a fun, light read. :)

I also received, quite unexpectatedly, a copy of Nocturne by Syrie James. I don't think that this is a sequel, but Ms James has written another book recently. If I wasn't so tired right now, I'd look it up - but again, I'm nodding off. (will be editing this tomorrow, or Tuesday). According to info with book, this novel features only two characters......
Currently Reading -
Grave Witch by Kalayna Price. I've been able to read through a few chapters this weekend, despite babysitting since Friday night, and having a "playdate" for my granddaughter today with the daughter of a friend. They gave each other x-mas presents. Very sweet.
Grave Witch reminds me a bit of the Hollows series by Kim Harrison, with the setting. The world is completely aware of witchcraft and some fae. There's magic and trials, laws and rights...good set up with world building and no major information dumps, so far. I like the character's voice so far, and her pet is a Chinese Crested dog...I love those dogs - no body hair, reminds me of My Little Pony for some reason. Well, I'm tired. :)
There are other books that I've been reading here and there, but of course, I misplace them there and here:
Dark Space by Marianne De Pierres
Chill by Elizabeth Bear....
and there's another one, but the name escapes my brain at the moment.
Well, that's it for now....more later. Teaser Tuesday this week, I have lots of "fodder" for it. :)

7 comments:

  1. I am so jealous you have two whole weeks off. I hate when the Holidays fall on a weekend as it shorten the time I get off. Looks like you had a great week and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Kim Harrison series. I may have check out Grave Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of fun books to read! I hope you'll have time to nap soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These titles are all perfect for my daughters, may have to add a couple under the tree.

    Dollycas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discords Apple looks good - I hope you enjoy your reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books are the best gift :)

    ReplyDelete