Monday, February 22, 2010

It's Monday....meme

Hosted by Sheila at One Person's Journey Through a World of Books.


It's been a quiet week, as far as reading. I've only finished one book.


Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler. Listed as Fantasy/Horror but reads like a paranormal romance. It's entertaining.


I have started reading Street Magic, by Caitlin Kittredge. This is a book that's been languishing on my shelves since....well, since it first came out. I have a habit of rushing to the stores to buy a new release (especially when I have the money, and know I like the writer) but then I let it sit for a while before I crack it open. Or I'll start it, and go into my B.A.D.D. mode and start reading about six other books.
Street Magic is listed as Dark Fantasy. I'm up to page 100 and am finding it pretty engaging so far. I do enjoy Caitlin Kittredges other series, the Nocturne City books, but I might like this one a teeny bit more. Not sure why, because I usually prefer books in the first person narrative, and this is written 3rd person. It's good.
We're getting closer to the end of the Herbert's Wormhole at school and the kids are still laughing away. Peter Nelson writes a funny book.
Future Plans? If I happen to finish Street Magic before the week is up, I'd like to start Anton Strouts first book Dead to Me. Since I bought that particular book he's come out with two others. I am getting worse and worse with reading series. I blame all the excellant new debut writers who've come out with the best books ever lately. All their fault. : ) This one has been languishing on my shelf since 2008.
I'm also planning to order about four books for the POC challenge. Don't have very many (that I know of) books for that one. It's also kind of hard to find urban fantasy books written by POC writers. I know about Shadowglass - which might be out now. There's also Octavia Butler, who wrote speculative fiction/science fiction. I've read Fledgling - but it's been about three years since I read it (I think). Just judging by the excerpts of her work that I've read and the the one book I have, I think Octavia was a genius. Really, a genius. (most writers seem to be pretty intelligent, but some of their brains shine brighter). BTW there is a memorial scholarship fund in her honor here.

2 comments:

  1. Street Magic looks good. I do the same think - I have to get books that I have heard wonderful things about and then it takes a while for me to get to them. It really annoys me that I do that. :)

    Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have some great plans for the next week. Have a great time reading.

    ReplyDelete