Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris
In exchange for the use of my car by my son....I charged the price of a book. Probably not very nice of me, but I really wanted this book.
I also have tried twice, so far to buy Street Magic from Borders. It came out on Tuesday. It wasn't there. I waited three days, then went back tonight. It's still not there. I guess if I want to get it, I'll have to drive into downtown and go to Barnes & Nobles to pick it up, although I hardly go into town.
My next decision- which book am I going to read? I've been waiting to read quite a few books, but haven't yet...mainly because Magic in the Blood came out and I HAD to read that one. Books that are waiting for me to finish reading them...
- Red Headed Stepchild Jaye Wells, halfway through it
- Close Encounters by Katherine Allred, on third of the way through
- Eve of Darkness by S.J.Day, a quarter of the way into the book
- Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland, read the first chapter (pretty good)
- Blood Noir by Laurell K Hamilton, halfway through, all the dialogue keeps slowing me down
Books that I am waiting to start (I know I'll finish them once I start them), partial list;
- Magic Strikes, by Ilona Andrews (must be savored)
- Undone by Rachel Caine
- Embrace the Night by Karen Chance
- Curse the Dawn by Karen Chance (I'm really behind with this series)
- The Demon's Librarian by Lilith Saintcrow
- Hunter's Prayer, by Lilith Saintcrow
- Steelflower, by Lilith Saintcrow
- Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong
- The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong
- Doomsday Can Wait by Lori Handeland
- and now, Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris
- The Accidental Sorcerer by K.E. MILLS
- Stardoc by S.L. Viehl
- Queen of Dragons by Shana Abe
I don't know why I can't finish the last few, the plots are good, the writing - especially by Shana Abe- is excellant; I'll pick the book, or books up, start to read them, then get distracted to something else. If a book seriously interests me, then not much distracts me, except work, sleep and my grandchildren.
I have been forcing my self to finish Laurell K Hamilton's Blood Noir. I made the mistake of buying it, so I am being stubborn about finishing it. I don't like to dis and author on the internet, but I am glad I didn't pay hardback price for this book. In fact, I wish I still shopped at used book stores. Unfortunately, the used bookstores in my area are far away from my house; and I'd rather buy new anyway- it's a whole tactile thing, I like the feel and smell of a new book.
I also have quite a few books by new (to me, anyway) authors that I am waiting to read at some point. These include;
- Amazon Ink, Lori Devoti
- Tekgrrl, A.J. Menden
- City of Pearl, Karen Traviss
- Night Child and
- Flash of Hex, both by Jes Battis
- Dancing with Werewolves, Carol Nelson Douglass (there are two newer novels out now)
- Magic Lost, Magic Found, Lisa Shearin (also has sequels out that I don't own -yet)
These lists show a few things:
- I'm a little list-obsessed
- my BADD is going strong
- I have a huge TBR pile, these are only some of the books on them
- I am greedy for books (I want more)
- I can't stop messing around with font colors
- I might be a little weird.......nah
Well I have the whole summer- okay, really two and a half months- to catch up on all the books I have to read. I think my TBR pile has exceeded 75 books. I also have quite a few books that I wouldn't mind re-reading; Terry Pratchett books, Devon Monk books, Ilona Andrews books, and Lilith Saintcrow's books. Those are always worth reading and re-reading.