Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Book Meme

I know this is weird/slow/a-low-tech-sign but I just found out what meme means. I also just found out what :p means! Anyway, I saw this meme on the "Lost in Books" blog and thought it might be fun to post.

1. What author do you own the most books by?
Terry Pratchett; I have everybook in his discworld series, and most of his other books, like Johnny and the Bomb, Strata, Carpet People, Nation, and I'm looking for Truckers, Wings, and the two other Johnny books that he's written. The man has written a lot of books and I love the discworld books.

2. What book do you own the most copies of?
I am lucky to own one of each of my books. I can't imagine buying more than one copy...oh wait. I just bought Magic to the Bone again, because I really missed it after I gave it away. As soon as I gave it away I wanted it back, so when I had the chance, I bought it again...Not normal behavior for me, but I think I might be growing an obsession to Devon Monk books.....

3. Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
um... what?...What's a preposition?...no really, not at all.

4. What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
None, although I used to be in love with Brad Pitt, until he married Angelina Jolie. I just have to stick with my husband.

5. What book have you read the most times in your life?
The Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett, and Reaper Man. Great books

6. Favorite book as a ten year old?
oh my gods, that was so long ago, I don't really remember, I read so many books as a kid. I did read a lot of Nancy Drew mysteries when I was around ten. Loved them, (this was in 1970). If I were a ten year old now, I think my taste would run more along Jim Benton books (Dear Dumb Diary series) or the Harry Potter books.

7. What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
That would be....(when did I read The Harlequin?, 2007? doesn't count) Okay, it's got to be Mona Lisa Blossoming...no that was 2009...OKAY, I've got it...A Lick of Frost!

8. What is the best book you've read in the past year?
There's been quite a few - best young adult was Nation, by Terry Pratchett. Best adult Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs, or maybe Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews....There were quite a few really good books.

9. If you could force everyone you know to read one book, what would it be?
Probably Nation by Terry Pratchett. In that book a boy finds a great inner strength (his island village has been destroyed by a tidal wave) and a young girl finds a friend and her inner strength (her ship is wrecked on the boy's island). The two become fast friends (after a rocky start!) overcoming fears and prejudices that they grow up with. They also learn how to be family to each other, as well as accept other ways of being.

10. What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Wee Free Men (Terry Pratchett), or Nation. Wee Free Men is a young adult novel, but has plenty of humor and a lot of little teeny blue men who like to fight, steal and drink ale. They help a young nine year old girl who is learning to be a witch.

11. What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
Hawaii, by James Michener. I read it when I was 11 or 12 years old. I remember about 200 pages on the forming of the islands, the migration of birds to the islands, the growth of plant life...........after the beginning, the rest of the book was outstanding. There were a lot of adult concepts for a young'un like me, but I enjoyed reading about all the different people; the native hawaiians, the "hale"white people missionaries who came to try to save souls...all of that was intriguing to me.

12. What is your favorite book?
I have many favorites. Really I have favorite series such as the Mercy Thompson series (Patricia Briggs), The Hollows (Kim Harrison) the Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews), The Discworld (Terry Pratchett) and new Allie Beckstrom (Devon Monk). There are more, but these are the very best (that I can think of now, anyway)

13. Play?
Can't think of a play....not yet....still nothing.....OOH! A Raisin in the Sun. I might have the name wrong. I read the play when I was a teenager. A loooong time ago.

14. Poem?
The Dragons are Singing Tonight by Jack Prelutskey. Wonderful poem. I like Jack Prelutskey's works.

15. Essay?
"What is Man?" by Mark Twain. Although a lot of his fiction could be considered essays, or life lessons.

16. Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
I hate to say this, cause I know a lot of peoplie really like him, he has written hundreds of writings, made quite a few movies...but I think Stephen King. Although I do like a few of his books (the Shining, Pet Semetary, Carrie) I think his dialogue between characters suck. It is often awkward and not on a par with the rest of his writings. Another overrated author at the moment is Laurel K Hamilton. Lately her books seem to be one long dialogue (often repeated ad nauseum) between characters who seem to be having therapy sessions with each other that NEVER accomplish or change ANYTHING. Book after book after book. just a lot of repetitive dialogue, EVEN RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF SEX! Endless talk, talk, talk, angst, talk, angst, whine, oops! here's the ARdeuer/adroo/ardeiu, more talk, talk, talk, talk, angst, talk,blahblahblahh.........blahblahblahlallallllalalalalalalala.....
If my partner needed to start talking SOOO much about STUFF right in the Middle of THE SEX, boy it would be over real quick. what a mood killer! I don't understand the appeal to others....oh my god, I'm ranting. My blood pressure just shot way up. breath, breath slow, in, out, in, out...

17. What is your desert island book?
It would have to be two, one for survival, and one for reading pleasure. A long book. So after finishing, I could read it again, and it would be like new again. Hawaii?, no, Winds of War?, no. A Robert Jordan Tome, no - never any resolution. Something funny then.....Any Terry Pratchett book. Maybe Carpe Jugulum. That's a good one, or Hat Full Of Sky.

18. And...what are you reading right now?
I have just finished Magic in the Blood, and am reading Close Encounters by Katherine Allred. Also, I've started Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland.




1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any Terry Pratchett but you are the second person I've seen who has more of his books than any other author's. Hmm...

    And thanks for the compliments you left me on your comment. No, they weren't too gushy, but even if they were, I wouldn't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete